I always thought it would be wonderful if I could travel back in time. I would probably go back to the age of 25. This was a time when I had endless energy, no wrinkles and a great outlook on life. I didn’t even consider the fact that all of that would change one day. They say time fly’s when you’re having fun. Unfortunately, this is also true when you’re stressed, living off of cigarettes and coffee and skipping meals. This kind of lifestyle will cause you to age quicker, inside and out. But if you’re like me and already on the south side of 50, take heart. You can still do some things to turn back time. So, let’s take that Quantum jump back through space and time…. figuratively of course.
Get Enough Sleep
Let’s start with the basics. There is nothing more important to feeling good and looking healthy than a good night’s sleep. Getting seven to eight hours a night is necessary for mental acuity, memory, stress management, boosting the immune system and maintaining a proper body weight. Adequate sleep goes a long way toward looking younger and improving your overall health, preventing illnesses such as diabetes or obesity.
How you sleep is an important consideration. If you’re a side sleeper, you might want to consider flipping over onto your back and getting a fluffier pillow. When you sleep, gravity can cause fluids to collect under your eyes, causing puffiness. Raising your head with a bigger pillow will cause those excess fluids to drain. Laying on your side causes more wrinkles to form. If you just can’t make that change, at least invest in a good silk pillowcase. Studies show that friction from tossing and turning causes creases in the skin, but a silk pillowcase can reduce that effect, making you look younger.
I was taught the benefits of exercise at a very young age. When I was a little girl, I exercised in front of the television with my mom. Ever since, I have been an exercise enthusiast. That’s because my mom knew how important exercise was, and she made sure that she imparted that knowledge to me. It’s beneficial for the old and young alike, to get healthy and to stay that way.
As I got older, I began to learn that exercise can slow down the process of aging. Research shows that even light exercise improves heart, lung and brain function. It’s also great for the bones, muscles and mental health. If you want to live a long and healthy life, and look younger, stop sitting all day and start an exercise routine.
Change Your Diet
Diet plays a vital role in healthy aging and can help prevent or delay many age-related diseases and conditions. The Mediterranean diet is often recommended for older adults. This diet emphasizes vegetables, fruits, whole-grains, lean protein, low-fat dairy, healthy fats, and moderate alcohol consumption. Limit sugar, sodium, saturated fats, trans fats and processed foods. Sugar is an inflammatory food that will not only make you look older but will affect your organs in an adverse way. It will increase your chances of developing diabetes, obesity and heart disease. Pizza, cake and cookies should be foods you only enjoy on special occasions.
Does gray hair make you look older? My opinion is, yes! Perhaps this isn’t true of everyone, but from what I’ve seen, going all natural can age you dramatically. If you want to find a hair style that will help you in your quest to look younger, here are some hair style tips for you:
- Choose a cut and color that flatter your face shape and skin tone. Consult a professional stylist or use online tools to find the best options for you.
- Avoid too long or too short hair, as they can make you look older or less feminine. Aim for a length that is between your chin and your shoulders and add some layers or bangs for volume and movement.
- Opt for natural-looking highlights or lowlights to brighten up your complexion and add some dimension to your hair. Although purple, red and blue highlights are popular among the younger crowd, they might be counterproductive for someone over fifty.
- Experiment with different accessories, such as hats, scarves, or clips, to add some fun and personality to your look. You can also change your parting, curl or straighten your hair, or add some braids or twists for more variety.
- Remember, the best hair style is the one that makes you feel confident and happy! Don’t be afraid to try something new, or different, as long as it suits you and your lifestyle.
Consistent dental care for seniors is important to maintain a healthy and youthful smile. One aspect of dental care that many older adults are interested in is teeth whitening. Teeth whitening can help reduce the appearance of stains and discoloration that occur naturally with age. Never underestimate the importance of white healthy teeth to a more youthful appearance.
There are many choices when it comes to brightening your smile. The over-the-counter choices include whitening toothpaste, whitening strips and bleaching gel. It’s always a good idea to consult with your dentist before using any whitening product, especially if you have tooth-colored restorations, sensitive teeth, or gum disease. Your dentist can recommend the most suitable option for you, such as custom trays and in-office bleaching. These options can provide noticeable results and minimize the risk of adverse effects, such as tooth sensitivity and gum irritation. Teeth whitening can be a great way to enhance your smile, boost your confidence and make you look younger, but it should be done under professional guidance and supervision.
A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids helps prevent skin from wrinkling prematurely. Eat a lot of fish like salmon, tuna and trout, and vegetables like broccoli, spinach and cauliflower. Nuts and beans are also a good choice. Drink lots of fluids to stay well hydrated. Fish oil supplements are another choice you might consider.
A high-quality skin cream containing retinol can do wonders for your skin. It will exfoliate the dead skin cells to reveal the fresh new skin underneath and build up the collagen that often disappears with aging. Retinol is over the counter and found in many excellent products. You don’t have to spend a lot of money. If you have a good dermatologist to write you a prescription for Retin-A, that’s an even better choice. Start out with the lowest strength and work your way up. Use caution, especially if you have delicate skin. Try it out first on a small spot to see how well it will work for you. Expect that it will cause redness and irritation until you adjust to it.
How do your hands reflect your age? Well, if you have wrinkles, spots, or veins on your hands it will age you. And people notice hands like they notice shoes. But don’t worry, there are some simple ways to improve the appearance of your hands and make them look younger. For example, you can use moisturizer, sunscreen, or gloves to protect your hands from the sun and dryness. You can also buy an age spot removal cream over the counter. Try some exercises, massages, or manicures to stimulate blood circulation and relax your muscles. And when all else fails, you can always use some makeup, jewelry, or nail polish to distract people from your hands and focus on your sparkling personality instead.
How should makeup be applied to make you look younger? To start with, always remember that less is more.
- Choose a light-reflecting foundation that matches your skin tone. Avoid anything too matte or too shiny, as they can accentuate your age. I choose to avoid foundation all together. It only clogs your pores and accentuates wrinkles.
- Apply concealer under your eyes and on any blemishes. Use a shade slightly lighter than your foundation to brighten up your face. Use sparingly.
- Use a cream blush instead of a powder one. Cream blushes blend better and give a natural flush to your cheeks. A bronzer also works well and is more natural looking.
- Curl your lashes and apply mascara. This will open up your eyes and make them look more youthful. Try to avoid bright colorful eyeshadows and too much mascara. Heavy makeup is something to be avoided.
- Apply a moisturizing lipstick or gloss. Avoid anything too dark or too bright, as they can make you look older.
- Finish with a setting spray to keep your makeup in place and add some glow.
There you have it, some simple steps to make you look younger with makeup. Of course, the best way to look younger is to be happy and confident, so don’t forget to smile!
If you’re a woman over 50 and you want to look younger, here are some tips on what to wear and what to avoid:
- Don’t be afraid of colors. Bright hues can make you look more vibrant and cheerful. Avoid wearing too much black or gray, as they can make you look dull and tired.
- Choose clothes that fit your body shape and flatter your curves. Don’t wear clothes that are too tight or too loose, as they can make you look older and frumpy.
- Accessorize with style. A nice scarf, a pair of earrings, or a statement necklace can add some flair and personality to your outfit. Avoid wearing too many accessories, though, as they can overwhelm your look and make you look cluttered.
- Have fun with your fashion choices. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different styles and trends. You can look younger by wearing clothes that reflect your personality and mood. Just remember to avoid anything that is too childish or inappropriate for your age, such as cartoon prints, glitter, or crop tops.
So, there have it. There are many ways to look younger, but the most important thing to remember is that you’re as young as you feel. Wayne Dyer always said, “If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” This is true of every aspect of life, even aging. Remember, you will never be any younger than you are today.